What is Fair Lending?
Discrimination in mortgage lending is prohibited by the Fair Housing Act. The AFHC, in conjunction with HUD's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, actively enforces those provisions of the law. The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to engage in the following practices based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familiar status or handicap (disability):
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Refuse to provide information regarding loans
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points, or fees
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan or set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan