The Arkansas Fair Housing Commission’s Fair Housing Ambassador Program is designed to educate adults on fair housing/fair lending laws and regulations and to equip them with tools to effectively promote fair housing/fair lending throughout the State of Arkansas.
The Arkansas Fair Housing Ambassador Program will provide free leadership development training to students from institutions of higher education from across the state. Students have the opportunity to learn about fair housing and fair lending issues and will participate in a weekend retreat devoted to the promotion of civil rights in the areas of fair housing and fair lending and gain valuable leadership and personal development training.
The AFHC Ambassador Program will expose students to a one-of-a-kind professional development experience with an agency charged with protecting civil liberties for Arkansans.
AFHC Ambassadors will serve as a fair housing/fair lending emissaries during which time they will help promote awareness of fair housing and fair lending issues on their campuses and in their communities. AFHC Ambassadors also will assist the Commission with National Fair Housing Month activities and will participate in civic service opportunities throughout the year. This program is funded in part by a Partnership Fund Grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
An AFHC Ambassador is Someone who:
- Recognizes the urgency for civil rights awareness in Arkansas
- Understands and appreciates the diversity of humankind
- Demonstrates a consistent need to promote acceptance of laws designed to promote the common welfare
- Exhibits a strong interest in public awareness and pursues opportuntiies to contribute to this mission
- Fosters growth and development in personal, community and civic responsibilties
- Has a record of leadership experience and desire to assist the disenfranchised
- Recognizes the opportunities and responsibilities of becoming an AFHC Ambassador
AFHC Ambassador Activities Include:
- Attending a two-day Arkansas Fair Housing Commission Ambassador Retreat
- Promoting awareness of fair housing/fair lending issues on campus and in the community
- Assisting in national and state fair housing/fair lending observance activities
- Engaging in civic service opportunities throughout the year
How you can become an AFHC Ambassador:
For questions, call the Commission at 501.682.FAIR (3247) ◊ 1.800.340.9108